fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, May 13, 1919

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

May 13, 1919


Clifford Snyder, the 16 years old youth who for years has had a thoro contempt for property rights and an penchant for stealing horses and running them about the country, is in more deep trouble and is booked for a sure and speedy return to the state reform institution to which he was twice before committed and each time was released on parole.

His latest escapade was the stealing of a horse and buggy from in front of a South Holly street blacksmith shop at 5 p.m. Tuesday and starting with the outfit to Grants Pass. Not long after the theft was discovered Chief of Police Timothy was notified and as Snyder was out on parole while County Judge Gardner was arranging to send him to the state institution, the chief at once went to Jacksonville and notified Sheriff Terrill. It was learned that the boy had driven the horse north and the sheriff and chief in an auto followed one road and Deputy Sheriff Glen Terrill in another auto took another road north. At 8 o’clock last night Deputy Terrill located the boy, horse and buggy at Gold Hill and brought him back to Jacksonville and lodged him in jail. This time the youth will probably be kept in the reform institution until he is 21 years old.

Two years ago he attracted notoriety by taking a team of horses from the business district and nearly driving them to death all that night and part of the next day before he was discovered. Then several weeks ago he took a saddle horse belonging to Mr. Hoover, the dairyman, who had left the animal while he looked at some cattle. Pursuit was soon started and the boy and horse were captured several hours later near Eagle Point. Between these two escapades young Snyder committed a number of other offenses including stealing a watch from the principal of Washington school and stealing two bicycles.

Chief Timothy said Tuesday afternoon that there were several more young boys who unless they mended their ways would soon be sent to the state reform institution.


The fire whistle was blown this noon not because there was any fire in the city but to cause water consumers to at once shut off irrigating their lawns and gardens. And until up to late this afternoon the siren whistle had not been blown again signifying that the “fire was out,” and may not be blown until sometime tonight or Wednesday.

This peculiar situation was brought about by the fact that the city water department began cleaning out the reservoir this morning and thru some oversight the public was not notified beforehand, as is customary on such cleaning occasions, to not irrigate lawns and gardens. The reservoir was emptied and the city’s water supply came from the intake pipe direct. Hence to maintain as large a pressure as possible as a fire precaution the fire whistle was blown.

It usually takes from one to several days to clean out the reservoir, and people are warned not to turn the water on lawns or gardens again until notified thru the Mail Tribune.

News from 100 years ago