fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Sept. 10, 1919

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Sept. 10, 1919


The entire sheriff’s and Medford police force assembled at the depot yesterday afternoon to bid farewell to Willis E. Carter, the auto thief and burglar who left for Los Angeles in custody of Detective Sergeant Beaumont of that city. Although Carter was heavily handcuffed, after they had reached their drawing room on the train Sergeant Beaumont, with a view to eliminating all chances of escape put the leg irons on Carter to remain there until Los Angeles was reached.

The daring prisoner was a little down hearted over the fact that he was returning to Los Angeles probably to face a long term in the penitentiary and was not enthusiastic over the precautions taken to prevent his escape. He had an especial grouch at Sheriff Terrell because the latter, following his two attempts to escape from the county jail, had confined him for the past week in the “crazy” cell with only a hammock to sleep in.


The bears in the vicinity of Crater lake are becoming quite tame, and one big black fellow has been coming to the kitchen door of the hotel every night for a week past for food. Monday night when the stage was returning from Klamath Falls to the hotel this bear walked leisurely across the road in front of it. It is hoped the bears at Crater lake will eventually become as tame as are their kind in several other national parks. Will G. Steel says the bears are harmless and that the only dangerous bears are in the story books.


Walter Frazier Brown has received the following letter from H. C. Hotaling of Mapleton, Minn., executive secretary of the National Editorial association:

Mr. Brown, Medford, Ore.

Dear Mr. Brown — Reached home yesterday and am taking this, my first opportunity, to write to you and thank you for your interest on the drive to Crater Lake. I know that you are worried as to our welfare and realize that you put yourself out a great deal. Conditions were bad and I have worried myself how you made out on the last 23 miles of the trip. You must have been tired out with the strenuous driving. We reached Ashland just as the train pulled out and by driving at the rate of 40 miles an hour, were able to overtake the train at Medford and continue our journey.

I was somewhat bruised but not seriously hurt but can not help but continue to worry as to your last lap of the trip after we deserted you.

Again thank you, I am, sincerely yours. H. C. HOTALING.

News from 100 years ago