Mail Tribune 100, Nov. 29, 1919
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.
Nov. 29, 1919
SOLID LEDGE OF AGATE IS FOUND
The discovery of a new mineral deposit in Jackson county, consisting of a solid ledge of agate near Trail has aroused much interest among local mining men.The discovery was made several weeks ago by S. M.and H. M. Hayes, who have taken out five claims which were just recorded today at the county clerk’s office in Jacksonville.
The ledge is 20 inches in thickness and so far as known extends across the country at least a mile and a half.
The agate is of all colors. It is the first ledge of agate, it is claimed, ever found in southern Oregon, and is especially valuable for the use as scales bearings. As near as the locators can find out it has a market value of $600 a ton.
The Messrs. Hayes are getting in touch with expert mineralogists and gathering other information to see just how valuable is their find.
MEDFORD GREETS D. O. K. K. VISITORS PARADE TONIGHT
In a drizzling rain 65 members of Abd-Uhl-Atef temple, Dramatic Order of Knights of Korassan, including the temple’s drill team, officers and band — an exceptionally fine looking body of men — arrived here at 10 a.m. today in three special coaches attached to the regular south bound passenger train, and were met at the depot by the local Knights of Pythias reception committee and a number of other members of the order.
Because of the rain the informal parade that was scheduled from the depot to the Knights of Pythias hall on West Main street, was dispensed with and the visitors were escorted to the hall. Soon thereafter the dark blue fezzes of the D. O. K. K.’s were seen all around the business districts as the Portlanders scattered about to look the town over and get acquainted.
At 11 a.m. they and other visiting knights had luncheon together at the Holland cafe, prior to leaving for Ashland for the parade there scheduled at 2 p.m.
This evening’s parade here takes place at 7 o’clock, and at 8 p.m. at the Hatat-orium the new Medford interstate temple, which is known as Fuhat-Burkan temple, and is composed of 250 Northern California and Southern Oregon members of the Knights of Pythias will be installed with elaborate ceremony by the Portland D. O. K. K. contingent. W. J. H. Clark, the imperial prince of the Portland temple with his staff will conduct the ceremony. Following the installation of the new temple a banquet will be served at the Knights of Pythias hall.
A large number of Knights of Pythias and D. O. K. K. candidates arrived here on this forenoon’s trains from the territory between Roseburg on the north and as far south as Redding, Calif., and more will come on the afternoon and early evening trains.