fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Dec. 13, 1919 Continued

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Dec. 13, 1919 Continued


First Medford was blown up, then it was snowed up, and now it is frozen up.

If it grows no colder last night and today will go down in local history as the coldest period by far in Medford and the valley according to the memory of living man and all records obtainable. Even Bear creek is frozen over.

Think of it, a minimum temperature of 7-10 below zero this morning and a zero temperature most of last night and today. Sounds something more like the weather in Canada, the Dakotas and the east. Little hope is held out for much milder weather at present as the official prediction for tonight and Sunday merely says “Not so cold.”The next hardest freeze in local history was from 27 to 30 years ago when the old timers here say the temperature was 5 below zero from three to six days in succession. Bear creek was then frozen over to a depth of 5 inches or more, and the residents went there and cut their following summer’s ice supply.

The freeze of last night and today is causing much inconvenience, not a little suffering, and many thousands of dollars worth of damage thru bursted water pipes, exploding kitchen ranges and the freezing of fruits and vegetables both in cans and storage, to say nothing of lack of warmth in the homes, stores and buildings. The average Medford dwelling, store or office building was not constructed with a view to combating such extreme cold weather, and is not fitted with enough stoves or other heating apparatus sufficient to cope with such a situation as the present one. Hence it takes lots of fuel and firing to keep reasonably comfortable.

While colder weather was anticipated last night and early today and most people who could do so prepared as well as they might to prevent freezing of pipes, fruits and vegetables, no one even dreamed of the thermometer falling to nearly 10 degrees below.

Most residents were too busy from the time they arose this morning trying to keep warm, thawing out water pipes and ascertaining the other damage done to give the cold weather even more than a thought.

A number of kitchen ranges fitted with hot water pipes exploded when their owners started hot fires this morning, forgetting that it is a dangerous thing to do when water pipes are frozen up without first thawing them out. Among the homes were ranges blew up and more or less wrecked the kitchenswere those of William Jackson, A. S. Wells and Guy Childers. Fortunately while sparks and burning wood were hurled all over the kitchens no fires resulted, quick action on the part of the tenants of each house extinguishing the danger.

But of the general wreckage of frozen pipes and the frantic calls for plumbers to remedy the damage, a book could be written. The plumbers, already overburdened with orders to repair damage caused by the snow and general storm were running around today with their tongues hanging out. It will be weeks before all the frozen pipe damage can be repaired.

News from 100 years ago