Mail Tribune 100, Feb. 17, 1920
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.
Feb. 17, 1920
WOMEN OF GREATER MEDFORD CLUB ASK FOR ARMY STORE
Medford is going to have an army retail store for the sale of surplus army stores, consisting of foods and other supplies if the efforts that have been and will be put forth by the Greater Medford club are of any avail. The women of the club say Medford must have an army store like many of the other districts of Oregon.
They will bring the matter up before the city council at the meeting of the latter body tonight in the hope of influencing the councilmen to endorse the project and unite in efforts to have an army store established here. About a month ago the Greater Medford club made a similar request of the council, which was turned down.
The army store established recently at Grants Pass will be taken away from that city as soon as its present stock is sold out, and the Greater Medford club is working to have it then moved to Medford. The club women argue that such a store will result in much saving in the cost of living to the people of this city and vicinity, and instead of hurting the local merchants, will bring more trade to them, as the sales they lose through army store patronage will be more than offset by the increased patronage from the rural districts an outlying towns, to say nothing of local money now expended at Grants Pass.
It is pointed out that from 10 to 20 people daily have been going to Grants Pass to purchase supplies at the army store there, and the store has been a great benefit to that city as it will be, if established in Medford. All of the Grants Pass merchants signed a petition to have the army store established there and report business better than ever before since its establishment.
A committee of the Greater Medford club consisting of Mesdames W. E. Tumy, J. B. Andrews and F. E. Merrick went to Grants Pass one day last week to investigate the army store situation there and returned home with a report which makes the club members all the more anxious to have an army store established here.
Besides surplus food supplies, bacon, beans, etc., the army store now sells blankets, shoes, harness and many other commodities.
SHERIFF TERRILL ASKS FOR RENOMINATION
Sheriff C. E. Terrill, who has made a splendid officer, asks for renomination by the republican party at the coming primary. Mr. Terrill is an Oregonian born in Albany and came to this county in 1868, location on Lake creek, where he resided until he was elected sheriff in 1918. He has always been a republican and still is and this is the first office he ever held. Mr. Terrill feels that his efficiency in office entitles him to another term.