fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 27, 1920

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

March 27, 1920


A visit to Trigonia oil well No. 1 this morning by a party of Medford people proved very interesting indeed. They witnessed the bailing out process, now at a depth of 75 feet. The drill is going thru a formation of asphaltum shale, there is crude asphaltum oil showing plainly in the drilling of which samples were secured. A trip to the well is very interesting. Everyone should make it and see for themselves.

The company will inform the public thru the press when the time is set for the photos to be taken. They are waiting for a clear day.


Now along with Medford’s growth in prosperity and progress, and the rumor that outside capital is contemplating a very large modern hotel of 250 rooms, comes the announcement by John A. Westerlund, owner, and Carl A. Tengwald, manager of the Hotel Holland that plans are being made to build a large addition to the Holland with a capacity of from 75 to 80 rooms, and with the finest hotel dining room in southern Oregon whose seating capacity will be 250 diners.

The plans call for a concrete and steel fire-proof addition of four floors immediately adjoining the present hotel structure in the rear with a frontage of 100 feet on Sixth street and about the same frontage on North Grape street. To make way for the addition and to permit of the new and old structure to connect as one huge building, the alley in the rear of the Holland, which is privately owned, will be closed and built over.

When the addition is completed and other improvements made the entire lower floor of the present Hotel Holland will be converted into an immense lobby and hotel office.

Messrs. Westerlund and Tengwald have recently been at Portland and other points getting the best ideas to be embodied in the erection of the new building and its amalgamation with the present structure into a large, modern hotel.


The special agent for irrigation of the Bureau of the Census, A. C. F. Perry, will be in Medford with headquarters at the office of the water master, Mr. Cummings, until April 1, before making a canvass of the vicinity. He will be prepared to give assistance in filling out irrigation schedules at the office.

News from 100 years ago