fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Oct. 29, 1920

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Oct. 29, 1920


“Wild Bill” Reed pulled the curtain on Earl Ritchie in the first minute of the ninth round in the main event at the boxing carnival at the Nat last night, with a jolt to the stomach, and a shower of rights and lefts to the jaw and face. In the preceding round Mr. Ritchie was floored with a heavy blow to the stomach, but was saved by the bell. The bout was a semi-thriller. Reed was a trifle too much for his foe in the arts of pugilism, but Ritchie was game, willing, doing his best. The fight was fairly even half the way.

In the fifth round Ritchie hurt his wrist. In one of the rounds hostilities were suspended while his hands were taped. Up to this time it was a fair contest with Reed having the edge. When they called the gentleman “Wild Bill” they said a mouthful. Two or three times he uncorked terrific swings with Ritchie four feet away. Reed bloodied Ritchie’s nose in the first round, and he bled like Jacksonville — most of the fracas. Reed got his mouth in the way of a clout in the second round, and did a little bleeding himself.

Toughey Anderson and Young Fitzsimmons, a pair of (Little People) won the hearts of the crowd in their four-round clash, the flatfooted swagger of Toughey appealing. Fitz was red headed and full of fight, but he did not get warmed up till towards the finish. This bout was full of action, and when it was called a draw, the crowd threw $26.15 in the ring. The young men gathered up the money with both hands, exemplifying the spirit of the times by ignoring the pennies.

The semi-final was a substitute affair between Kid Romeo of somewhere and Homer Stephenson of the valley. Romeo got a baste in the nose right off the gong, and in the second round Referee Young gave Homer the decision, on account of the frazzled condition of the Kid. He however was not so badly hurt that he could not grin in disgust at the ruling.

The first fight was stopped by Manager Frank-Smith in the first round, because of too much brotherly love between Kid Brown and Kid Meadows. The crowd yelled their disapproval before the contestants made six moves, and then they were ordered from the ring, the fans cheered Manager Smith for two minutes. By dousing an apparent hippodrome when he did, Smith saved a revival of the boxing game in this locality from ruin. Afterwards Brown was brought back, and Manager Smith explained that he stopped the bout to save Meadows from a slaughter owing to the superior skill of Brown.

...The gross receipts of the fracas were $1,515, and with the war tax deducted the net was $1376. T,he attendance was 815, plus 40 passes. There was a large delegation from Klamath Falls on hand, and the ringside seats were full of public officials, candidates, councilmen, ex-councilmen, merchants, and the common herd. There were several women in the audience who emitted loud squeals at critical stages.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago