fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Nov. 2, 1920

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Nov. 2, 1920


At 1:30 o’clock this afternoon only about one-third of the registered vote had been cast in Medford, and despite the brisk voting in the morning hours in some of the precincts, it seemed that the vote would have to come out heavily late this afternoon and evening in order to attain the record breaking proportions that had been predicted.

Up to the hour of 1:30 p.m. the women’s vote had been light especially. The polls are open until 8 p.m., and with the ideal weather prevailing and the interest that has been taken in the national, state and local contests, it seemed reasonably certain that the full vote would be in at that hour.

At the South Main precinct only 57 votes had been cast at 1:30 p.m. At the city hall precinct but 27 votes were deposited at 11 a.m., and but 63 out of 300 at that hour at the Medford South Central precinct. In the Newtown precinct at 10:30 a.m. 60 of the precinct’s 250 registered votes had been voted at Washington school.


Much excitement and indignation was created in the business district at 8:15 o’clock last night when an Essex Six car, in which were three intoxicated men, ran amuck on South Front street at fast speed between the Nash hotel and East Eighth street, crashing into three other cars that were parked on the west side of Front street and finally striking a fairly large maple tree with such force as to tear it out by the roots. Fortunately no one was injured.

The indignation spread about the city today when the facts became known, being heightened by the fact that five men were arrested in the city last Saturday night, and the reports that bootlegging activity has been on the increase lately.

Mayor Gates was incensed over last night’s affair and gave orders to Chief Timothy that the men if found be arrested and prosecuted. The fact that no arrests were made last night was due, it is said, to the men being spirited away by friends before the police learned of the episode.

The drunk car in its career of wreckage first struck a Ford car and knocked it galley west. It next crashed into a Chevrolet car and knocked it all to pieces. After hitting the third car it struck and uprooted the tree.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago