fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Nov. 13, 1920 Continued

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Nov. 13, 1920 Continued


Jacksonville will celebrate the retention of the county court house at a banquet to be held Saturday, November 20, at which Colonel H. H. Sargent will be the main attraction, and chicken the principal article on the bill of fare. Louis Ulrich will act as toastmaster. All Jacksonville will gather around the festive board, and the citizens will appear in their best bib and tucker.

The feature event of the evening will be the presentation of a token of remembrance to Colonel Sargent for his oratorical work during the battle and the Colonel will likely come back with a speech.

The banquet will be paid for out of the residue of the campaign fund. About $650 was originally collected, and only in the neighborhood of $400 was expended in saving the day.

The court house expects to lavish its hospitality on the banquet night, and the crowd will be limited only by the number who can get into the hall.

The good housewives of the community have started baking cakes for the function, and they can bake cakes that are cake.

Also at the banquet the hatchet will be buried, and the pipe of peace smoked with Medford.


Witness Against Pete Foster Claims First Words After Accident Was Inquiry for Flask — Defense Claims Driver Not Intoxicated. Not Driving Fast.

Peter Foster, a taxi driver and operator of the city, faced trial in the circuit court this morning, charged with reckless driving while intoxicated. Foster is alleged to have collided, while driving a Nash Six on the Pacific Highway with a lumber truck, resulting in Dexter Hale being knocked unconscious, and Paul Goodwin, another occupant of the car, hovering between life and death for several weeks from injuries received. The state is represented by Prosecutor George Roberts, and the defense by Attorneys Lindas and Borden.

The state alleges that Foster was intoxicated at the time of the accident, and Driver Brooks of the lumber truck, the first witness called, testified that the first words of Foster after the crash were, “Where is that bottle?” He also said that he smelt liquor. Brooks estimated the speed of the Nash at 40 miles per hour. The witness, under cross examination by the defense, became argumentative, and was cautioned by the court. Lawyers for both sides started to draw pictures of the accident, and were checked by the court.

The second witness was Driver Webber, who had charge of the second lumber truck and corroborated in the main the testimony of Brooks.

The defense in their opening statement said that they would prove that Foster was not intoxicated, and that he was not driving recklessly.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago