Mail Tribune 100, Nov. 23, 1920
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.
Nov. 23, 1920
NEAR $200 NOW RAISED FOR H. S. BLEACHER FUND
Subscriptions to the proposed bleachers for the Jackson Field grounds are progressing, and the plan is meeting with favor from businessmen and citizens. The fund is now $190.
A committee of high school boys, all members of the football team are out today and secured $65 in a couple of hours. The committee is composed of “Irish” Coleman, “Chick” Vance, and Russell Sherwood.
The Crater Lake Hardware company gave $10 with the provision that it would be raised $5 if the local team won the Thanksgiving Day game with Ashland.
Plans for the building of the bleachers, and the securing of material will be decided upon at a later date, and one plan is to have the manual training class of the high school erect the bleachers under the supervision of a contractor.
The school board at its next regular meeting in December will discuss the plan, and take some sort of favorable action upon it.
Anyone not visited by the soliciting committee, and who desires to subscribe can turn his or her name into this office, and it will be listed.
EVERYTHING READY FOR OPENING PAGE THEATER TONIGHT
All is in readiness for the re-opening of the Page theater this evening, and workmen are putting on the finishing touches this afternoon. The picture feature will be James Oliver Curwood’s “Nomads of the North,” a selected comedy, a Page magazine, and the musical feature will be Henry Harcke on the new $15,000 Wurlitzer organ. The theater from every standpoint is on a par with those of Portland and San Francisco.
The fixtures around the organ were designed by Architect Frank Clark of this city, and the motif is to give a conservatory effect to the stage, which will be further heightened by an appropriate stage setting. The decorating and arrangements are by Tom Swem. The George A. Hunt & Co. have spared no expense in making the Page, southern Oregon’s theater beautiful.
The Wurlitzer organ is the same type as installed in the leading movie palaces of the land, and the photoplays shown at the Page will have the correct musical interpretation, which is two-thirds of the screen productions. Later Mr. Harcke will give Sunday afternoon concerts, a feature immensely popular with movie fans, at one o’clock each Sunday afternoon, beginning this Sunday. There will also be regular matinees at 1:30 and 3:30, evening performances at 7:15 and 9 o’clock.
Citizens attending the theater at the opening this evening will be pleasantly surprised by the innovations which have been brought about.
In the mechanical end two new latest style Simplex moving picture machines have been added, each fitted with powerful projectors, and equipment for casting the “fadeaway,” “close-ups” and other novelties of screen photography. The machines have been installed by Fred Ryan, formerly employed in the assembling department of the Simplex factory before coming to Medford.
— Alissa Corman;firstname.lastname@example.org