fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Dec. 4, 1920

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Dec. 4, 1920


Even if you have been calling them Red Cross Seals it is not too late to change your ways and say Antituberculosis Society Seals, then perhaps their true use will be clearer to you. These little stamps, one cent each, help in the fight the state of Oregon and the United States are making against the universal scourge. And this year a good sale means more than ever before, for Medford will retain 25 percent of the amount raised.

The children are interested, for each one wants his school to win the cup offered for the biggest sales. Last year the Lincoln school won it. Two years’ victory gives permanent possession, and rivalry is strenuous. Therefore buy seals. Buy all you can use and then buy a few more. You will help the children, the schools, the town, the state, and most of all the sufferers from white plague.

Buy Antituberculosis Seals!


An echo of the recent accident of an early Sunday evening in which E. W. Phipps was knocked down and injured by an auto while walking in the rain on the North Riverside road, came yesterday afternoon when R. A. Matthews, the well known orchardist living north of Medford, was fined $15 by Justice Taylor upon his pleading guilty to having failed to notify the police of an auto accident within 12 hours after it occurred.

First on complaint of Mr. Phipps, a state charge was preferred by County Prosecutor Roberts against Mr. Matthews, he being charged with the technical offense of having failed just after the accident to give the name of the driver, the owner of the car and his address. The case was placed on trial before a jury and after the first witness for the prosecution, Mr. Phipps, had taken the stand. Porter J. Neff, attorney for Mr. Matthews made a motion that the court dismiss the case because the complaint did not state facts sufficient to constitute a crime. Justice Taylor upheld this contention and dismissed the case.

Then County Attorney Roberts at once swore out a complaint on a new charge, that of Mr. Matthews having failed to notify the police of the accident within 12 hours after it had happened, in violation of a law. Mr. Matthews at once pleaded guilty to this charge, and the fine was imposed.

It was adduced in court that the accident was caused by the fact that it was raining, that the windshield of Mr. Matthews car was wet, and that he was partiality blinded by the rays of the lights of an approaching car, and failed to see the Phipps family walking at one side of the road.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago