fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Dec. 21, 1920

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Dec. 21, 1920


Seeing a large shapely Christmas tree being delivered at the Home Telephone company office, The Tribune sleuth hotfooted over to investigate the unusual proceeding and found that preparations were under way by the big force of operators employed by the company for a Christmas tree and festivities to be held Thursday evening in the operators’ parlor in the telephone building, at which all employees of the company, about 30 in number, will take part. The linemen of the company procured the tree and installed the decorations, including a profusion of miniature switchboard lights, which fairly cover the tree with colored dazzling light. Committees of operators are preparing refreshments and entertainment, and there will probably be no more successful or enjoyable Christmas entertainment held in Medford during this festal season.

Operators and employees of the Home Company from Jacksonville, Gold Hill and Rogue River and those of the Pacific Company long distance office in Medford, will be guests of the Home Company local force.


A strange case of sleep walking was brought to light last Friday morning early, when Horace Nicholson of the Medford Furniture and Hardware Company found a man clad only in his undershirt, and a pair of socks wandering aimlessly on Central avenue near Paul’s Electric Store at 5:30 in the morning. He was unable to give his name, but said he lived two miles beyond Central Point “near Carlson’s.”

Mr. Nicholson took the thoroughly chilled man to the Rex Cafe, where he got warm soup and a cup of coffee, and was taken home by taxi. According to the story told Nicholson by the man, he first discovered the he was walking in his sleep, when he found himself entangled in a barbwire fence in Bear Creek, near the Jackson street bridge. He was drenched to the skin and his face and legs were badly cut, where he had walked into the barbwire fence. He said he had waded Bear Creek for a couple of miles. He also claimed that it was his first experience as a sleepwalker.

The man appeared dazed and exhausted, and on the verge of a breakdown from his experiences. He was lost and unable to find himself when Mr. Nicholson found him.

Kid Stevens, the well known boxer, took the man home, but did not find out his name, the man recognizing his house when they came to it.

The sleepwalker made all of his unusual journey in his undershirt, and a pair of socks, and it was bitter cold. When he reached this city, he found an old pair of overalls in an alley, and put them on out of self-protection. Mr. Nicholson told the man to take care of himself and stay in the house until all danger of exposure had passed.

He was described as about 40 years of age and a farmer.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago