fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Feb. 9, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Feb. 9, 1921

STATE HAS SPENT $1,400,000 UPON LOCAL HIGHWAYS

At the regular Wednesday noon forum meeting of the Chamber of Commerce today, K. E. Hodgeman, state highway director for this district, gave a resume of good roads work — past and future.

In the last two years, Mr. Hodgman reported that in the state 347 miles had been paved, 369 macadamized, and 761 graded, a total of 1,417 miles.

There are 61 miles of Pacific highway in Jackson county, and all completed, but about eight miles, mostly in the Siskiyous. The coming summer the highway will be macadamized from Grants Pass north, giving a good road over Smith’s Hill, long a thorn to autoists.

On the Trail-Eagle Point-Medford road, grading is now in progress and will be completed about May, when macadamizing will commence.

An agreement has been reached, whereby the Crater Lake highway will be widened to 16 feet, at a cost of $500 per miles to the county. Three contracts have been let for the roadwork from Trail south, the cost being shared 75 percent by the state and nation and 25 percent by the county.

In the last two years, the state has spent $1,400,000 in this county for road development.

The grade for the Green Springs road will be completed this spring and the contracts for macadamizing will be let this year.

Out of the Market Road fund, the county has received $41,000, which was matched by the county court for road work, $12,000 of this amount being appointed from Multnomah county.

The contract has been let for the grading of the Jacksonville Hill and will be finished the coming summer.

The forum also voted to send a telegram to the Jackson county solons at Salem, urging them to work for the bill providing for an armory in this city. Short talks were made by Captain H. A. Canaday of the local national guard company, and Lt. Col. Mapes of the U. S. Army.

FLORIDA ALLIGATOR, WITH 6-FOOT SMILE TO BE W. HOUSE PET

Washington, Feb. 9.— A Florida alligator with a six foot smile, more or less, is to succeed as White House pet former President Taft’s famous cow, Pauline, the pony that rode in an elevator in President Roosevelt’s administration, and more recently, President Wilson’s flock of lawn mowing sheep. Senator Trammell carried word to White House officers today that President-elect Harding had already accepted a “fair sized ’gator” from Henry M. Bennett of Jacksonville.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago