fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 17, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

March 17, 1921

YEGGS BLOW TALENT BANK GET NOTHING

Safe Door Blown Off, But Burglar Proof Compartment and Vault Baffle Early Morning Robbers — $70 in Pennies Are Disregarded — Place Badly Wrecked.

Bank robbers made a raid on the Talent state bank during last night, used explosives in an ineffectual attempt to gain entrance to the vault, blew the lower door of a large safe, but did not try to get into the burglar proof upper part where the bank’s money was kept, nor did they bother to take $70 in pennies which was in the lower safe compartment, and in their haste to get away apparently fearing that the noise of the muffled explosions might have been heard, scattered the pennies right and left over the floor.

The burglary was not discovered until this morning when the bank opened for business. There is no clue to the yeggs, who it is believed, traveled in and out of Talent by auto.

First they broke into the irrigation district warehouse to obtain the quilts and comforters with which they muffled the noise of the explosions. They then visited the railroad section house where they obtained picks and hammers to force an entrance to the bank and for work on the outside of the vault and safe. The service station was also broken into and 15 to 20 gallons of gasoline for their car taken.

After knocking the combinations off the vault and safe and drilling holes into them for the explosives they blew both. Entrance was gained to the outer part of the vault, in which none of the bank’s money was kept. The clock in the bank stopped at 3:27 a.m., indicating that that was the time of the explosions. Both the safe and outer compartment of the vault were badly wrecked.

PETITION CITY TO BUY P&E TERMINAL SITE

A resolution, calling upon the common council of the city of Medford to immediately purchase the Pacific & Eastern Terminal grounds, was unanimously adopted by the board of directors of the Chamber of Commerce.

This tract of land consists of approximately nineteen acres and is located in the heart of the city, therefore making it an ideal location for an auto camp ground and public park. Considerable of this land extends to the west of Bear creek, which is now being used as the temporary auto camp.

These nineteen acres may be purchased at a very reasonable cost and at terms within the reach of the city finances. The board of directors also recommended to the common council that they proceed as soon as possible to acquire an entrance to this property from Riverside Ave.

The members present at the forum yesterday unanimously endorsed the purchase of this property, because it provided the necessary features to make it an ideal auto camp as well as giving exceptionally wonderful opportunities for landscaping for a public park.

— Alissa Corman;acorman@rosebudmedia.com

News from 100 years ago