fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, May 27, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

May 27, 1921

MEDFORD MEN JOIN IN MINE EXTENSION WORK

The latest result of the great stimulation in mining interest in Josephine and Jackson counties brought about by the rich discovery of the Boswell mine in the Sucker Creek section, and which is bringing here mining men from all over to prospect the hills of Southern Oregon, is the formation of the Boswell Extension Gold Mines company in which Medford and Grants Pass men are interested, together with A. M. Knapp, of San Francisco, who is a mining man of 25 years experience.

Mr. Knapp has just returned to Medford from Carson City where he took preparatory steps to incorporate the Boswell Extension Gold Mines company, final papers for which will be mailed Saturday. Interested with him in the company are the Page-Dressler corporation of Medford; George S. Barton, president of the Boswell company; H. D. Norton, president of the First National bank of Grants Pass, and John Breeding of Grants Pass.

This new concern, which will be a close corporation has purchased and paid for deeds to six claims immediately adjoining the Boswell mine and extending to the Cohen mines, owned and being developed by Seattle men. In these six claims the men interested believe they have the mother load that fed all the rich placer territory in the Illinois river section. These claims consist of what is known as the “old Wimer property,” and the “old Beagle brothers property.”

The claims adjoin the Boswell mine and it is claimed the same rich ore ledge, if not a far richer one, runs through them, and extends to the Cohen mine, where the first gold in Southern Oregon was discovered in 1847.

The new corporation plans to push development work and block out a large tonnage of ore before constructing a reduction plant.

H. S. ANNUAL OFF PRESS IS CREDIT TO COMMUNITY

The Crater, published by the senior class of the Medford high school, has just been issued under the direction of Kenneth Brumbaugh, editor-in-chief and a competent staff. It is an exceedingly creditable number and speaks highly for the staff, class, faculty, and schools generally. It is dedicated “to the fathers and mothers, who through toil and self denial, have made possible these educational privileges,” has 132 pages, bound in a neat cover and is nicely illustrated and contains the names of the staff, faculty, student body, officers of the different classes, High Times staff, class rolls, Y. W. C. A., band, orchestra, football, basketball, baseball and glee club teams, members of senior class play, etc.

The half-tone illustrations are: Two views of Crater lake, Crater staff, individual pictures of the faculty, senior class officers, individual members of the class of 1921, snapshots, Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman classes and officers, football, boys’ and girls’ glee clubs, dramatic club, senior play cast, High Times staff with Lydia Dean as editor-in-chief, student body officers, Y. W. C. A. officers, agricultural class.

This, the second volume of the Crater was issued by the Medford Printing company, as was the first volume in 1920.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com