Mail Tribune 100, May 31, 1921
May 31, 1921
LOCAL Y. W. C. A. BUILDING FILLS LONG FELT WANT
The past year has seen the establishment of a Young Women’s Christian Association that is a credit to a city larger than Medford. The Y. W. C. A. house on North Bartlett street has become a worthy center for girl activities. It is very nicely furnished, the things being either gifts or loans from nearly all organizations in town and from a number of private individuals. There is the office and three other rooms down stairs, besides the kitchen, and has proven ample room for the large Y. W. C. A. parties. The piano has proved very popular with the girls who eat their lunches there, and also the many magazines dear to girlish hearts that come regularly as gifts to the Y. W. C. A. In short the house is a restful place to wait in, eat lunch in, bring your friends to and make yours. A tennis court is to be started this week which will delight the girls. The house is under the supervision of a house mother.
There have been many interesting things happen at the Y. W. C. A. this year. Not long ago two young girls from Yakima, Wash., walking to Mexico, stopped at the Y. W. C. A. and asked to stay all night. They were taken in and left again on the long hike the next morning.
One girl on her way to California got this far and had only 50 cents left. She stayed at the Y. W. C. A. over the weekend and then the Red Cross found work for her.
All the hotels were full at the recent performance of Al Jolson and three girls from his company came to the Y. W. C. A. where beds were fixed for them.
There have been other transients cared for and many strangers take advantage of the room registry to ask for help in finding the right sort of a place to stay in. There are calls almost daily for apartments. Five girls live there now.
The house has been a busy place all winter — besides the Y. W. C. A. activities the Methodist Missionary Society, the Wednesday Study Club, the Grade School Teachers’ Association, committees from the various churches, Queen Esther circles regular meetings, and monthly spread and the Greater Medford Club executive luncheons have all been held here. The house has been used for parties for business girls, the Girl Reserve and the high school girls and also the Y. W. C. A. monthly board meetings and luncheons.
Sunday afternoon is open house, when all girls and their friends are welcome. Tea has been served nearly every Sunday and occasionally a program. At noons all winter chocolate was sold at five cents a cup.
The Y. W. C. A. house is a busy place and fills a long felt want in Medford.
— Alissa Corman; email@example.com