Mail Tribune 100, June 15, 1921
June 15, 1921
AIR FIRE PATROL IS STARTED FROM MEDFORD STATION
The government air service forest patrol of Oregon was ushered in today when planes left the Eugene and Medford bases on the daily flight patrol guarding the forests of the state from fire.
This patrol between Medford and Eugene will be as follows: The Medford plane will leave here daily in the forenoon and fly to Eugene over the Cascade range by way of Mr. Pitt and Oak Ridge, stopping at the Eugene base for dinner, and returning in the afternoon on a straight line to a point 30 miles east of Ashland and back to the Medford base. A plane from Eugene will daily fly from that city to Medford over the coast range in the forenoon, and then return over the range to Eugene in the afternoon.
These planes will be in constant communication by radio telegraph, each ship being equipped with two sets of wireless outfits. The ship that left the Medford base on this patrol at 10 a.m. today had Sergeant C. D. Ardnt as pilot and R. M. Parsons as observer.
In command of the Medford base is Lieutenant Samuel Carter with a force of 20 men and four ships. F. M. Gruever of Grants Pass, who filled the same position last year, is the liaison officer for the forest service connected with the local base.
ASHLAND PEOPLE ERECT 6 SUMMER COTTAGES IN PARK
Ashland, June 15. — Six cottages more or less, will be installed in the park, south of the Chautauqua building, to accommodate the demand for transient housing during the summer school season which opens June 20 for a six weeks session. These constructions are not mere shells, but comfortable abodes already furnished, costing about $300 apiece. A rental of seven dollars a week for each cottage is considered about the fair price to charge. Regulation tents are already being pitched in the parks in readiness for the approaching schools and conferences which will open up here early.
FLAG EXERCISES ARE IMPRESSIVE
The Flag Day exercises of the Medford lodge of Elks, assisted by the G. A. R. and the American Legion, held last night at the Elks temple were well attended and very impressive. The hall was beautifully decorated with special flags, flowers and plants and if possible the most beautiful floral liberty bell ever made by N. S. Bennett. The G. A. R., the W. R. C. and the American Legion auxiliary were largely represented in the audience.
The program included the patriotic address by E. E. Kelly, introductory exercises and altar service by the exalter ruler and officers of the Elks lodge, history of the flag by Floyd Hart, solo by Mrs. Gred Strang, orchestra selections, and selections by a quartet composed of Mesdames Fred Strang and Frank Isaacs and F. C. Edmeades and Wm. Vawter, and the signing of “America” by the audience.
— Alissa Corman; firstname.lastname@example.org