fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Aug. 5, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Aug. 5, 1921


Gasoline requisitions in quantity to keep the 91st aero squadron planes operating over Oregon and Washington forests on fire patrol during the rest of the summer will be wired immediately by the war department according to telegrams received today from Senators McNary and Stanfield.

Until the shipment arrives Lieut. Samuel Carter will be given authority to purchase gasoline locally in order that the forest patrols may be resumed at once.


Lieut Samuel Carter arrived at Barber Field yesterday, flying down from Eugene and will remain here until Sunday or Monday, when the Medford squadron will fly to Eugene, where they will make their headquarters for the rest of the season as announced last week in the Mail Tribune.

Lieut. Carter confirmed the information that the recent difficulties have been overcome and the regular forest fire patrol will be resumed at once to continue through the present season, the Medford area being covered by planes each day from Eugene.


Three violators of the auto laws were fined in Justice Taylor’s court this forenoon on their having entered pleas of guilty to the charges preferred.

Clarence Gresham of Central Point drew a fine of $15 and costs for exceeding the speed limit on north Riverside, and H. C. Messenger of Gold Hill was assessed $10 and costs for operating a car without a state license. Both these arrests were made by Deputy Sheriff Millard.

If Lee Watson and another Medford young man had not stopped to argue with Chief of Police Timothy when he called down Watson, who was driving, for being on the wrong side at a street intersection it would probably never have been know that Watson had no driver’s license. But they did argue and insisted they were right until finally Chief Timothy demanded to see Watson’s license to drive a car. It then developed he had none. That is why Lee paid a fine of $10 and costs in court today.


Reverends Sasnett, Lawrence and Millard and Colonel Payne took their lunch and went to the Millard ranch on the Rogue last evening where they enjoyed much fishing sport. Millard caught twelve including a six-pound steelhead, which put up such a stiff fight that it took he and Sasnett a half hour to land him, during which he led the pursuit a distance of a half mile. The others in the party also caught some fish.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com