fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Aug. 13, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Aug. 13, 1921


Jim Lewis and Jesse Housley, two young men charged with violation of the prohibition law in having mash in their possession, were given a preliminary hearing in Justice Glenn O. Taylor’s court Friday afternoon, and were bound over to await the action of the grand jury, with bonds fixed at $750. A plea to have the bail reduced to $500 was denied. The defense offered no testimony. A bottle of white liquid was introduced as evidence, also some corn and barley and corn mash, that possessed a pungent odor.

S. J. B. Meadows, a resident of the Griffin Creek district testified that last Tuesday night and Wednesday morning he was awakened by the noise of a Ford bug, and arising made in investigation. He testified that ever since his barn burned down he was suspicious and that he followed the car up the hill towards the cabin where the defendants had lived. He kept in the background, and when a short distance away heard one man say to another: “Is that fire burning so soon? We better get to h---l out of here!” He could not positively identify either the men or the car, but said they looked similar to the defendants.

At Meadows, another resident of the Griffin Creek district and a brother to the first witness corroborated his testimony, and told of seeing the flames of the Davis cabin. He said he had been up late canning fruit.

Sheriff Terrill testified to going to the scene of the fire the morning after, and discovering two tubs full of corn and barley mash, and corn mash, and a badly burned gasoline stove. He said he talked to the defendants, and that they told him all their stuff burned up in the fire.

Night Policeman Joe Cave told of arresting the pair in a lodging house in this city, and finding a bottle of moonshine on one, and a pistol on the other. He said they reported to him that the Davis cabin had burned up, and there was danger of a forest fire.

The state was represented by District Attorney Rawles Moore, and the defense by Attorney George M. Roberts.


Chief of Police Timothy and City Water Superintendent Davis drove over the city last night after 11 o’clock in a roundup of water regulation violators, stopping in every block and listening for signs of hose spraying. As a result a number of offenders will be summoned in police court Monday to pay fines.


The strike at the cement plant is practically a thing of the past. The majority of the employees have forgotten about it while those who remember the beat are the ones who find themselves out of a job and a blue winter ahead. — Gold Hill News.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com