fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Sept. 20, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Sept. 20, 1921


Long Feud Between Two Eagle Point Citizens Ends in Shooting Fray — Attentions to Mrs. Jacks By Matthews Alleged Cause — Jacks is Shot Twice.

Wilbur (Wig) Jacks is in the Sacred Heart Hospital, with two bullet wounds in his body, and Rollie Matthews is in the custody of the sheriff, as a result of a shooting affray at Eagle Point this morning about 10 o’clock. Bad blood has existed between the two for five years, according to the sheriff over the attentions Matthews is alleged to have paid to Jacks’ wife. Jacks was operated upon this afternoon by Drs. Hart and Sweeney. His condition is regarded serious. Both bullets entered near the hips, one from in front, one from behind. Matthews was on horseback at the time of the shooting.

After the shooting Matthew returned to his home, where he awaited the coming of the authorities, and Jacks was removed to his rooms at the home of Mrs. Lottie Van Scoy in Eagle Point. Later he was brought to this city for an operation.

Conflicting stories are told by both sides. According to John Nichols, in front of whose place the shooting occurred, he heard loud talking, heard two shots, and saw a revolver in Matthews’ hand. Jacks crawled over the wire fence, and fell to the ground. Nichols says Jacks, a distant relation by marriage, had no gun.

No Self Defense

In a statement to Sheriff Terrill, Jacks said, according to the sheriff: “There is no self defense about it. He said he was going to shoot me, and I said, ‘Go ahead and do it, you ___ ___ ___, I don’t care.’” A further statement from Jacks could not be secured, owing to the pain and weakness he was under.

Sheriff Terrill, and Deputies Glenn Terrill and Forncrook, went to the Matthews home, and were greeted by Matthews, who surrendered. Ashed where the gun was, he re-entered the house, and gave up two revolvers, with the words:

“This is my gun, and this one is Wig’s.’”

According to Deputy Glenn Terrill, one shell in the revolver, claimed to be Jacks, had been fired, and one snapped. Two empty cartridges were found in the Matthews gun.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com