fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Sept. 21, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Sept. 21, 1921


Death of Eagle Point Resident at 10:30 This Morning Results in Filing Charge of Murder — Sheriff Leaves to Arrest Matthews, Who Was Released On Bail.

Deputy Sheriff Forncroft returned this afternoon from Eagle Point where he went to re-arrest Rollie Matthews, and reported that he had left his home with his father in a new Maxwell car. They are supposed to be en route to this city, but a watch is being maintained on the Pacific highway and other roads to block any attempt at escape.

Surprise was expressed in this city that Matthews should have been allowed his liberty on bonds pending the outcome of the shooting scrape, and many insist that he should have been kept in jail until it was definitely known whether Jacks was going to live or die.

Mrs. Jacks is grief-stricken by the death of her husband, and issued a statement in which she fixed the responsibility for the shooting upon Matthews, and insists that Jacks was not armed. Mrs. Hacks was a witness of the shooting.

Wilbur (Wig) Jacks died at Sacred Heart Hospital, this morning about 10:30 o’clock from gunshot wounds sustained in a shooting affray with Rollie Matthews in Eagle Point Tuesday morning. His wife was at the bedside, and Matthews, who is a liberty on $5,000 bonds, on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, will be arrested at once on a charge of murder in the first degree, and held without bail. Sheriff Terrill left about noon for the Matthews home to serve the new warrant.

A coroner’s jury, under the law, will be impaneled to fix the cause of death, and responsibility therefore, as a formality of the law. Attorney Charles Reames has been retained as counsel by Matthews.

Immediately following the shooting an operation was performed at Sacred Heart hospital by Drs. J. W. Sweeney and Henry Hart. There were 13 perforations of the intestines. Jacks was of robust constitution and iron will, and fought a valiant battle for life, but the chances from the first were against him.

In a deathbed statement procured by District Attorney Rawles Moore in the presence of witnesses and nurses, Jacks declared that Matthews rode up on horseback in front of the John Nichols place in Eagle Point, and after an exchange of words invited him “to come out on the desert and shoot it out.”

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com