fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Sept. 26, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Sept. 26, 1921


Pioneer to be Witness — Threats of Slain Man to be Told — Matthews is Bound Over to Grand Jury at Hearing Saturday.

Letters alleged to have been written by the principals in the Wig Jacks-Raleigh Matthews shooting tragedy at Eagle Point last Tuesday will be a link in the state’s chain of evidence, and John Nichols, pioneer and father-in-law of the slain man, will be one of the chief witnesses in the coming trial.

Nichols is said to have been a witness to part of the quarrel, and to have viewed it from his front porch, corroborating in general detail the testimony of Harry Lewis, who saw the fatal fight while driving a wagon and team down the Main street of Eagle Point. Nichols saw the shooting, and when Jacks leaped over the fence in his yard, is said to have raised his hand as a protest against any further shooting by Matthews, whereupon the latter stopped and rode home.

Witnesses will also be called by the state to prove that Jacks, worried over the trend of his home life, appealed to Matthews to leave. The defense will likely produce witnesses to show that Jacks had threatened to shoot Matthews unless he “left the country in three days,” and also show that others, including the sheriff, were among those he threatened. There will also be witnesses to show that he threatened to take his own life.

The sentiment in Eagle Point in favor of Matthews is very strong, and it is openly stated that if he is convicted a petition will be circulated at once, asking for his pardon.

Raleigh Matthews was bound over to await the action of the grand jury at his preliminary hearing in Justice of the Peace Glenn O. Taylor’s court Saturday afternoon after Attorney Charles Reames requested that the charge be reduced from second degree murder to manslaughter, so the defendant could be admitted to bail. Matthews charged with the shooting of Wilbur (Wig) Jacks, at Eagle Point, last Tuesday morning, and his attorney pleaded that if at liberty on bonds he could “get evidence for his trial.” None of his immediate relatives were in court, but many friends were present and extended a friendly greeting when he returned to the county jail in the custody of the sheriff.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com