fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Oct. 17, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Oct. 17, 1921


L. B. Rouse, a traveling salesman of Eugene, enlivened the Monday morning grist in Judge Taylor’s court today, when after he had been found guilty of violating the auto speed limit he was fined $20 and costs or given the option of serving 12 days in the county jail, he said he would not pay the fine.

“All right,” tersely responded the judge as he handed the commitment papers to District Deputy Game Warden Pat Dailey, who happened to be the only officer in the court at that time, and told him to serve them. The judge himself is usually as hard boiled on a Monday morning as any person brought before him.

Dailey started with his prisoner for the county jail but when outside the court room Rouse changed his mind when the prospect of spending the next twelve days in jail actually confronted him, and decided to pay the fine and costs, which he did. He later spent some time, of course outside Judge Taylor’s hearing, in balling out that magistrate to the officer.

Rouse was speeding along in his Dodge roadster on the Pacific highway between Gold Hill and Rogue River at the rate of 55 miles an hour when Deputy Sheriff L. B. Millard, en route to Medford with friends in a Hudson car, pursued and arrested him.

W. E. Minnick, who was arrested by District Game Warden Dailey for hunting without a license, pleaded guilty and was given the minimum fine of $25 and costs, which he paid.

Albert Johnson, who was charged with being drunk in a public place, failed to show up for trial, and a warrant for his arrest was issued by Judge Taylor. Johnson is charged with being intoxicated at a dance held at Kingsbury Springs last Saturday night and was found lying on the ground in a befuddled condition in that vicinity Sunday morning by Deputy Sheriffs Forncrook and Farlow, and placed under arrest.


Leavitt-Brown-Huggins Amusement company arrived in Medford this morning and have been busy all day unloading that setting up their tents on the lot just north of the Big Pines Lumber company and will open tonight. The company comes here from Eugene, where they showed last week, and will be under the auspices of the Buckhound committee of the Elks, remaining all week.

They have a large number of attractions. There will be a week of fun and frolic, so be young again, get the children and visit the midway and the other attractions.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com