fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Oct. 22, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Oct. 22, 1921


His trip from San Francisco to Medford by auto proved to be a very costly one for L. Hoagland, a Klamath Falls auto dealer, who because of a quantity of booze being found in his possession, put up $100 bail to answer to that charge and was later fined $25 for bringing an auto into this state without license plates, either regular or temporary.

Hoagland arrived here last night with a new Buick Six car, which he had purchased at San Francisco for Jack McAuliff of Fort Klamath, en route to deliver it to that individual, and with two passengers, who were W. H. Robertson of Klamath Falls and F. T. Lidyard of Redding, Calif. The latter two claim to have had no knowledge of the booze found later in Hoagland’s suit case.

From Sacramento to the California state line the car was brought on a temporary license permission of that state. On arriving in Medford last night Hoagland and the two others went to hotels after the first named had left word in the garage in which he kept the car for the night that he intended to resume his journey at 6 o’clock this morning.

During the night, however, Patrolman Cave in nosing around the city discovered the car without license plates in the garage, and was on hand when Hoagland arrived at the garage this morning. He took the Klamath Falls man into custody for driving a car into the state without any license plates, and at the police station in searching Hoagland’s suitcase, found therein two sealed bottles of Gordon Gin, a bottle of applejack, and a half bottle of liquor which resembled moonshine. This forenoon on orders from Rawles Moore, County Prosecutor, Chief of Police Timothy released Hoagland on $100 bail.

A short time later J. J. McMahon, deputy state motor vehicle inspector, ignorant as to Hoagland’s previous arrest, in making his rounds of the city, discovered the licenseless car and placed Hoagland under arrest. At his hearing in Justice Taylor’s court on this charge, to which Hoagland pleaded guilty, the accused frankly admitted that since he had been in the auto selling business at Klamath Falls he had never taken out a dealer’s license and had sold 28 cars. Deputy Inspector McMahon testified that on a recent official visit to Klamath Falls he at that time warned Hoagland to get a dealer’s license.

Hoagland, after paying his fine, went over to Jacksonville to procure a temporary license from the sheriff’s office, and then started for Fort Klamath.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com