fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Oct. 29, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Oct. 29, 1921


After 14 Hours’ Deliberation, Without Result, Judge Calkins Discharges Jury — Report 8 to 4 for Conviction — Wolgamott Trial On.

The jury in the trial of James (Shine) Edwards charged with selling intoxicating liquor was discharged at 11 o’clock Friday night, being unable to agree on a verdict, after 14 hours’ deliberation. The jury stood eight for conviction and four for acquittal. The disagreement, according to court house talk, arose over a question of facts and the unwillingness of members of the jury to accept “stool pigeon” testimony. Edwards will be tried at this term of court on a second indictment returned by the grand jury, and involving an alleged violation of the prohibition laws.

The trial of Ernest S. (Dud) Wolgamott progressed rapidly the arguments to the jury beginning this morning at ten o’clock.

Wolgamott On Stand

Wolgamott took the stand in his own behalf, and denied the claims of A. B. Gates, that he had sold him whiskey. Gates previously testified that he had bought two bottles of whiskey from Wolgamott on August 4th, but one dropped out of his hip pocket and broke, and Gates said, Wolgamott then sold him the second bottle for $10. The defendant also denied that he had sold any whiskey on the Jackson street bridge to a man named Lewis, who is in the St. Vincent’s hospital at Portland, recovering from bullet wounds.

The chief witness for the defense was Charles Bartlett, who testified that he was present at a conversation between Wolgamott and (Ernest) Caples, in which the latter told Wolgamott:

“I know they haven’t got anything on you. I didn’t see you on the Jackson street bridge that night, I didn’t see you hand Lewis any bottle. I didn’t see any money change hands.”

To rebutt this testimony the state called S. B. Sandifer, who under cross examination admitted that the conservation might have taken place, but if it did it was within a space of five minutes.

Caples First Witness

The first witness called by the state in the case of Ernest S. (Dud) Wolgamott, charged with selling intoxicating liquor, was Ernest Caples, a young man, employed by B. B. Sandifer, a state prohibition enforcement officer. The witness said he came to Medford the early part of last August, at the direction of Sandifer with a man named Lewis now sick in St. Vincent’s hospital at Portland, for the purpose of securing evidence against alleged bootleggers.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com