fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Dec. 30, 1921

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Dec. 30, 1921


Sad tales of the hard hearted state motor traffic cop grinding down innocent auto owners and drivers, which almost moved, almost — ‘Squire Farrell to tears are heard in justice court here daily, but that tender hearted official always recovers in time to impose a fine.

The story of L. M. Julian, clean cut young man of Seattle who has been visiting his father at Rogue River for the past nine days, as related in court today, was especially sad. He was returning in his Ford bug from taking a friend to Ashland last night, when between Gold Hill and Rogue River Motor Traffic Officer J. J. McMahon, lurking about seeking whom he might devour, motorically speaking, approached him on his motorcycle and Julian failed to dim the headlights of his bug, which as it proved afterwards, was of the lightning bug variety.

Stopping and turning around McMahon pursued the fast flying car, which he says was going at 28 miles an hour, stopped it and placed Julian under arrest. He then discovered that Julian’s rather dilapidated looking car had only one tail light, was wearing a Washington state license and had gunny sacks for side curtains. Otherwise it was all right.

Julian frankly pleaded guilty in court to speeding, the only charge which McMahon had preferred against him, being broke with the exception of 35 cents in his pocket, and that if he was fined he would have to serve it out in jail.

“Too bad, such a nice young man,” muttered the substitute judge with fast moistening eyes, and then quickly recovering his composure ejaculating “Ten dollars or five days in jail.” On the court’s suggestion Julian went out and pawned his car at a local auto establishment for $11, the extra dollar being obtained as car fare back to Rogue River.


The city auto camp will be closed tomorrow night to remain closed until the auto tourist travel begins again next season. Wm. Davis, caretaker for the city at the grounds, will cease his duties after nailing up everything safe and sound, and shutting off all the hydrants except one. Up to a week ago there was on an average of eight or nine tourists parties at the camp, and since there have been one to three such parties at the grounds daily. Two were there today.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com