fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Jan. 16, 1922

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

Jan. 16, 1922


His love for booze and inability to either get hold of whiskey or any kind of moonshine led John Mack, an elderly man, to court death Sunday by drinking one-half pint of denatured alcohol. He will recover.

During Sunday night after Patrolman Adams had arrested Mack and a companion, James Bradshaw, mill workers or loggers in the Weed of Hornbrook vicinities, in an alley in the business district, badly intoxicated, Mack became violently ill. Dr. Holt was summoned and by efficacious emergency work during the night managed to save Mack’s life but he was still a very sick man in the city prison today and one of his arms seemed partially paralyzed.

Bradshaw did not drink any of the denatured alcohol but slaked his thirst with some other kind of booze. Mack late Sunday afternoon purchased a pint of denatured alcohol at a local drug store, and at the time of his arrest at 10 p.m. had only consumed half of it. The two men will not be given hearing in police court until Mack has fully recovered.


Local Police Still in Dark as to Real Cause of Saturday Night Brawl — Geo. Grigsby Stabbed in Neck by Hawaiian Musician.

An argument and brawl, which terminated in George Grigsby of this city being stabbed by a Hawaiian named Luis Garcia, occurred a little after midnight Saturday. The cause of the quarrel and the details are not definitely understood even by the police as it seems that the different people involved tell widely diverging stories.

The substance of the situation is that Grigsby and Luis Garcia became engaged in hostilities when they met on the East approach to the Main street bridge and during the fight Garcia stabbed Grigsby with a pair of scissors. A wound was made on the left side of Grigsby’s neck and a vein was cut which caused Grigsby to lose a large amount of blood. His condition is not considered serious.

It is understood that Grigsby was carrying a banjo belonging to Garcia and that he had taken that instrument from Garcia’s rooms at 510 East Main street without the latter’s knowledge.

When Grigsby was stabbed two young ladies, one of whom is the wife of Garcia, summoned deputy sheriff Forncrook and officers Cave and Laggett, who placed Garcia, his brother Albert Grigsby, Bryce Nichols and one other man who is involved in the quarrel, under arrest.

Grigsby and Nichols face charges of having liquor in their possession and Garcia is likely to be tried on a charge of assault inn Justice Farrel’s court this afternoon. At this hearing the complicated and disconnected stories will most likely be straightened out to the satisfaction of the police. It is impossible to determine at present who was the aggressor in the brawl, and what the details and facts are.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com