fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 4, 1922

News from 100 years ago
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

March 4, 1922


The new curfew ordinance went into effect last night and will be enforced from now on. No arrests were made last night nor no minors under the age of 17 years were taken home by the police or any other peace officer, for the reason that no boys or girls under that age could be seen on the street unaccompanied.

By mistake the signal bell was rung by the fire department last night at 15 minutes of 9 o’clock instead of the proper time, 15 minutes after 9 o’clock. Tonight and every night hereafter the signal for minors to be off the streets and in their homes will be given correctly.

The ordinance forbids boys and girls under 17 years of age from being on any street or in a public places after 9:30 p.m., except when accompanied by parent, or legal guardian or other proper adult person. For the first offense any youth found violating this ordinance will be taken home by the police and the parent’s or guardian’s attention will be called to the violation.

If any youth under 17 years old is found violating the ordinance for the second time the parents or guardian will be subject to arrest, and if found guilty on trial in police court will be fined.

The ordinance virtually puts it up to the parents to see that the ordinance is enforced. The Medford-Ashland basketball game at the Nat tonight it expected to draw out a great crowd of youngsters, who if not accompanied by their parents or other proper adult, and not at home by 9:30, will be taken into custody by the police and escorted home.


Funeral services were held this afternoon over the body of Lester Henry Jacobs, who was killed in battle in France during the world war. The flag covered casket containing the body of the Medford hero arrived here on this morning’s southbound train. A delegation of members of the American Legion post carried the casket for the train to the hearse. The relatives of the dead soldier were also at the depot. Accompanying the remains from Portland were Sergeant R. B. Powers of the Portland Marine Corps recruiting office who will represent the Marine Corps at the funeral, and Corporal James Thompson of the howitzer company, 59th U. S. Infantry, who was the army escort of the body from Portland to Medford.


The foothills were covered with snow this morning, the most of which fell during the night. There was a snow flurry in the city about 9 a.m., which turned into a light rain. The rainfall during the 24 hours ending at 8 a.m. today was .30 of an inch. Rain is the prediction for tonight and Sunday.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com