fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 21, 1922

News from 100 years ago
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

March 21, 1922

OPEN AUTO CAMP FOR TOURISTS, 28 PEOPLE COME IN

The city administration informally opened up the city auto camp yesterday afternoon with William Davis, caretaker, in charge because so many auto tourists are now on the move, and even then a number were encamped on the grounds with no water or lavatory facilities. The water was turned on and the tourists were made as comfortable as possible.

Ten car loads were parked at the camp last night, comprising 28 men, women and children, all touring north from California, and seven car loads continued on north this morning.

The city council will decide at its meeting tonight just what improvements are to be made in the city auto camp and whether to enlarge the present auto grounds, so as to cope with the record breaking auto tourist travel this spring and next summer and fall.

NEW SERVICE STATION OPENS TOMORROW

Jones and Kirkpatrick, Inc., new service station, which has recently been built at 65 North Riverside next to the Natatorium, will open tomorrow under the management of L. D. Jones of Roseburg and W. R. Kirkpatrick, a former Ballou and Wright man in the Eugene territory. The new station is one of the most attractive and complete stations between Portland and San Francisco, having a ladies rest room in connection.

A complete line of United States tires will be carried in stock and Associated gasoline, oils and greases will be handled. The station will specialize in tire, oil, grease and free air service.

BOOTLEG CASES ARE POSTPONED

All the bootlegging cases scheduled for this term of court have been postponed until the week beginning April 24. This action was taken owing to Attorney George M. Roberts being called east, and owing to Assistant Attorney General Liljvequist being sick with the the flu. Liljvequist has been assigned by the attorney general to assist in the prosecution of the bootlegging cases, which include the retrial of the charges against John Goodwin and James (Shine) Edwards, and two or three indictments against Ernest S. (Dud) Wolgamott.

MOVING THE COUNTY ASSESSOR’S OFFICE

Changes are being made in county offices this week. The new county vault has been completed and is ready for occupancy.

The assessor’s office is moving into the concrete building across the street from the court house, and the treasurer’s office will move into the quarters now occupied by the recorder’s office. The county clerk will occupy the rooms formerly occupied by the treasurer, which opens on the vault, and the room now used. The sheriff’s office will be enlarged to take in a part of the room used by the treasurer, and the remainder will be used by the county commissioners.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com