fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 24, 1922

News from 100 years ago
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

March 24, 1922


Tobacco store dealers and other merchants who sell cigarettes without question to youths under the age of 21 years will probably face prosecution in court within a few days for violation of the law which prohibits the selling or giving away of cigarettes to boys under the age of 21.

Chief of Police Timothy and District Attorney Moore have rounded up a number of cigarette smoking boys this week and these under age youths have informed the officials that they have been purchasing cigarettes at a number of places throughout the city without being questioned by proprietors and clerks about their age. They ask for cigarettes, get them promptly, pay for them and walk out just as adult customers are treated. The law also prohibits minors smoking cigarettes.


Moses Hall, a native son and pioneer resident charged with robbery of the inmates of the bunk house at the Gold Hill rock quarry, was acquitted this morning after three minutes deliberation by the jury, a record for this county.

Closing arguments in the case were made yesterday afternoon. Gus and Don Newbury for the defense and Rawles Moors for the state. Don Newbury, who last fall was admitted to the bar pleaded his first case before a jury in this case.

The selection of a jury to hear the case of Vord Chamberlain who is charged with complicity in the robbery of the quarters of the local National Guard on July 31 last, was completed this morning and testimony was begun.

William McClant, witness for the state took the stand and testified that Chamberlain had been with him at the time of the robbery and had assisted in transporting the stolen goods to the Korinek building where it was found.

William Brown took the stand for the state and testified that Chamberlain had entered the building with another member of the party at the time of the robbery and that Chamberlain and the other boy had stood outside and watched while he (Brown) and another boy had entered the building. In answer to a question put by Gus Newbury, defense attorney, asking if he were sure Chamberlain had entered the building, he replied that he was sure.

Ernest Henderson was called to testify for the state and testified that William Brown had been at Fish Lake on August 1, 1921.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com