fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 25, 1922 continued

News from 100 years ago
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

March 25, 1922 continued


“A telegram from E. O. McCormicj, vice-president of the Southern Pacific company, was received by Bert R. Greer yesterday, announcing a visit to Ashland by Sir Auckland Geddes, ambassador from Great Britain to the United States, and Lady Geddes, Monday, March 27,” says the Ashland Tidings.

“Plans are being made in Medford and Ashland to meet the party at Hornbrook and escort it over the Siskiyous to this city, a visit to Lithia Park, up the canyon, and thence to Medford. The definite plans will be published tomorrow. The message reads:

“I am accompanying Ambassador and Lady Geddes and their retinue to Portland. Ben C. Sheldon, of Medford is requesting that we leave train 16 at Hornbrook, March 27, going by auto to Medford and re-embarking there. Please follow up with him your drive to Lithia Park and up the canyon a short distance at Ashland. Wire my office any arrangements made. Six in party.”

“Some tall traveling will have to be done by the auto party which meets train No. 16 at Hornbrook, as the cars containing the distinguished guests will have to beat the train schedule over the mountain from Hornbrook, so that Ashland and Lithia Park may be visited, and connection made with the train again at Medford, where the trip to Portland will be resumed.”


Yord Chamberlain was found not guilty of complicity in the robbery of the National Guard headquarters, after 4 hours deliberation by the jury. The verdict was returned about 7:30 last evening.

Closing arguments were made yesterday afternoon in the Chamberlain case by Prosecuting Attorney Moor and Defense Attorney Newberry.

Three defense witnesses took the stand. They were Chamberlain himself, who took the stand and made a general denial of state testimony; Mrs. Chamberlain, who was not married to Chamberlain at the time of the robbery and Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. Chamberlain’s sister, who testified that Chamberlain had been with them until after 12:00 o’clock on the night of the robbery. According to state witnesses, of whom there were seven, the robbery occurred about midnight.

The jury went out about 3:30 and returned about 5 o’clock to ask the judge a question which was, “We would like to know if the defendant was arrested at the same time that the other boys were arrested.” The “other boys,” meaning William McClain, William Brown and George Schaffer, all of whom pleaded guilty to taking part in the robbery and all of whom were sentenced and paroled by the court. The court did not answer the question saying that no evidence could be introduced at the time, the case having gone to the jury.

The jury returned about 7:30 and rendered a verdict of “not guilty.”

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com