Mail Tribune 100, April 19, 1922
April 19, 1922
CITY BUYS NEW AUTO CAMP SITE
Mrs. J. T. Williamson Property on East Main Bought for $6,500 — To Be Combined With Others — Free for All This Year — Unable to Purchase Present Site.
At last after talk and planning galore the past two years the much noted and long desired permanent city auto camp question was decided last night by the city council that body voting unanimously to purchase the commodious Mrs. T. J. Williamson property on the south side of East Main street, at the end of the Bear Creek bridge, for $6,500, which will be converted into a permanent auto camp site within the next 30 days. The deal was closed by Mayor Gates and the finance committee of the council this afternoon with Mrs. Williamson. Work will be begun at once at fitting up the new camp ground.
The acquisition of this property with its 217.8 feet frontage and driveway on East Main street, and 300 feet depth, all level, along with its fruit and other shade trees, large frame dwelling and barn, is regarded as a ten strike by the council at such a bargain price.
What makes this property so desirable as an auto camp is that the city owns the 70 foot frontage between Bear Creek and immediately adjoining the Williamson property, and running back 400 feet, on which there is a wealth of cottonwood trees for shade, and also a block on this side of Bear Creek on part of which the public market stands.
These three city properties will now be combined to create the new auto camp, with two entrances, one from the Pacific highway beside the public market, crossing over a bridge which will be erected over Bear Creek, and the other entrance off East Main street, through the present Williamson property driveway. It is predicted that in 30 days with the improvements made by that time the new auto camp will be inviting to tourists and one which the city will feel far from ashamed of.
The work of removing the brush from the city property along Bear Creek and in leveling and grading this property, and connecting it up with the Williamson property, as well as the construction of the bridge along over the creek from this side will be begun by the city at once. The bungalow shelter and other city buildings on the present city auto camp, which is on ground leased by the city from F. E. Merrick, from month to month, will be moved at once to the new camp ground.
The new auto camp will be operated free to all tourists this year, as there is not time to make the extensive improvements needed to standardize it this year and make a charge of fifty cents a day for each car, as had been planned. However, these improvements will have been made by next spring and next year the camp will have been standardized, and a fifty cents a day car fee will be charged, which it is figured will not only eventually pay for all expenditures necessary to standardize it, but its future maintenance.
— Alissa Corman; firstname.lastname@example.org