fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, May 26, 1922

News from 100 years ago
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

May 26, 1922


Hillah Temple patrol aided by Chief of Police Timothy and his entire force, will endeavor to control the crowd which is expected to assemble at the Hotel Medford this afternoon at 5:30.

Prof. Wilbur Fitzgerald smilingly ate his breakfast this morning and seemed not in the least disturbed over his performance later in the day.

The tank was installed on the west end of the hotel this morning, and was painted according to the diver’s instruction. Bill Aitken calls it a tank, hence the word “tank” as above is used. In size it is nearly five feet deep and is about 6 feet across.

Those who have seen Clarence Pinkston and “Happy” Keuhn, world’s amateur champions in plain and fancy diving, who won the titles at the 1920 Olympic games in Brussels, say it is doubtful whether even they would think of attempting a stunt, such as contemplated by Prof. Fitzgerald. The small “tank” will closely resemble a butter pat when viewed from the roof of the Hotel Medford.


There was a frost this morning with a temperature of 32 degrees in Medford and 28 degrees in the low lying parts of the valley. Most all the orchards equipped for smudging fired up about 5 a.m. The frost lasted two hours and did some damage to the pear trees in the low parts where there was no smudging. Fair and warmer weather is predicted for Saturday.


Thirteen people who arrived in five cars spent last night and this morning at the new city auto camp all being en route north from California. The most popular place so far with tourists for parking cars and establishing their camps at the new grounds is the large space beneath Bear Creek bridge, because of its more sheltered and cozy location. The work of erecting the office of William Davis, caretaker of the auto camp, is under way.


The Natatorium, preparatory to the spring opening, has taken on quite a new appearance. Both the small and large have been covered with a coat of white water cement which adds greatly to its appearance. The interior of the plunge auditorium has also been repainted. The back part of the building is being fitted up for the convenience of tourists with laundry trays, ironing board, ice box, gas plates, sink, dining tables and hot and cold showers.

— Alissa Corman; acorman@rosebudmedia.com