fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Gertrude Bloomingcamp Cavin

Gertrude "Gertie" Bloomingcamp Cavin

Gertie Bloomingcamp Cavin left this world on Saturday, May 20, 2006 at the age of 89 to join her husband, "Mick," who preceded her. She was born on a ranch in Hornbrook, Calif., on October 27, 1916.

As a child she enjoyed hiking the hills of Rancheria Creek and Mossy Falls. She graduated from Yreka High School in 1934. After graduation, she cleaned houses and gave piano lessons until attending beauty school in Medford. She owned her own beauty salon for about four years in Cave Junction.

In 1941 she moved to Medford and worked in the local post office as well as in a beauty salon.

On May 24, 1946, Gertrude married Mick Cavin whom she had known since high school. They made their life in Ashland, where they raised their only daughter, Janet. They were married 44 years, until Mick's death in 1990. They had a joyful life together and with their family and enjoyed traveling extensively.

Some of her favorite pastimes were gardening, oil and water painting, and ceramics. She had a deep love of music and played the piano most of her life. She even played a piano in a trio with two saxophonists at a dance hall before and during WWII.

She lived in many areas of Southern Oregon, but always returned to Hornbrook in between relocations. She was always cheerful, loving those around her, and a joy to be around. She was generally very healthy until a serious auto accident

2 years ago made it difficult for her to get around.

She is survived by her daughter, Janet Cavin; sister, Bee Wyatt; brother, Charles Bloomingcamp; grandchildren, Brenda Fisher and Ryan Plankenhorn; great-grandchildren, Benjamin and Josiah Plankenhorn as well as the many friends she loved and was loved by.

Memorial services will be held at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, May 27, at Applegate Christian Fellowship followed by inurnment at 2:00 p.m. at the Henley-Hornbrook Cemetery, Hornbrook, Calif.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions be sent to the Hornbrook Church.