fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Virginia 'Ginny' Lea Fuqua Morgan

Virginia “Ginny” Lea Fuqua Morgan was born the last child, the only girl, and the only redhead to Ferd and Marina Fuqua near Declo, Idaho, April 17, 1924. Mom spoke with great joy of her childhood and had fond and funny memories of her parents and brothers; her pets and farm animals; and her many friends. Her special friends were the Morgan girls who lived up the road and her chief nemesis was their middle brother Roy. He was such an annoyance that at one time she had no choice but to bop him in the nose on the school bus and neither of them ever forgot it. 

After graduating from Declo High School Mom attended Albion Normal School which is what they used to call colleges to teach and train teachers. Somewhere along the way her nemesis re­entered her world and in 1944 they married. At the young age of 19 she became not only a wife to Dad but mother to his two young children. When Dad returned from service at the end of World War II the family grew with the arrival of Claudia and a year later, Bill. Mom and Dad brought the family to Medford in 1953 where Dad had his own printing business and Mom stayed busy with four children, lots of school and community activities, then after an almost indecent period of time, fifth child Kelli. 

Mom went to work for the Medford School District in 1960 and ran the Publications Department until her retirement in 1988. It was hard to convince Mom and Dad to retire but when they finally did they embraced it. She often said her 70s were some of the happiest years of her life. While far from wealthy they were content.  They had time to do some of the things they enjoyed; had lots and lots of grandchildren to spend time with including a second crop of little ones they called “bonus grandchildren;" and they gardened as if they feared a worldwide zucchini shortage. Mom was a Smart Reader; a driver and appointment maker for Call­A­Ride; volunteered for the American Heart Association; and was instrumental in starting her Neighborhood Watch. She and Dad boated and water-skied until they were in their 70s.  When they stopped that they bought bikes and  when they didn’t want to ride on the street anymore they walked them to a large parking lot and rode there for exercise. Dad played in a senior softball league until he turned 80 and Mom went to every game to root him on. She also started occasionally calling her legislator’s offices to voice her concerns about, among other things, the war in Iraq. Mom protested the destruction of a mini-park by a local auto conglomerate by removing their license plate frame from her car and depositing it on the desk of an unsuspecting manager because she refused to provide free advertising for them. While we occasionally worried we might have to post bail money following a protest-line arrest it was wonderful to watch her stand up for the things she believed. 

Mom and Dad worked hard and never squandered a dime but as Dad said they, “didn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it through.” That’s because they spent their lives giving of themselves and what they had to others. They raised, helped raise, supported, and provided for their children, grandchildren, friends, friends of children, and children of friends, in-laws and out­laws, stray animals, and a few stray people; anyone who needed a hand. They once went home to find an unknown Black Lab running around the backyard and a note at the door saying, “We can’t keep her and we heard you are nice to animals, and give them homes.” And they did give her and her 11 puppies a home until they found fami- lies for them all. Mom was preceded in death by her former nemesis turned loving-and loved husband of 68 years, Roy; parents, Ferd and Marina Fuqua; brothers, Bob and Dick Fuqua; her eldest daughter, Nancy Morgan Clearwater; and son-in-law, Brad Hope.

She is survived by children Dick Morgan (Sandy), Claudia Bates, Bill Morgan (Denise), and Kelli Morgan, along with ten grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren. Mom is also survived by her sisters-in-law, Eileen Fuqua, Cleo Gee, and Jean Carvey and brother-in-law, John Morgan; nieces, Pam and Penny Fuqua, and Mary Campbell; and among her many friends, Mary Jane Sorenson who brought such wonderful friendship to her mid­years and work life and Tom O’Ben who became her faithful friend and chief worrywart these past few years.

Service will be held Thursday, July 14, 2016, 3:00 p.m. at Eagle Point National Cemetery, 2763 Riley Rd., Eagle Point, Ore.

In lieu of flowers donations may be sent to SMART Readers, 670 Superior Ct #108, Medford, Ore. 97504, (541) 734­5628.

Try as we might we’ll never fill her shoes but we will be the better for trying.

Virginia 'Ginny' Lea Fuqua Morgan