fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Ashland-area residents safe thanks to smoke alarm

Owing to swift detection and response, a house fire Monday night in a rural area outside Ashland did not spread much beyond the crawl space where it started.

The fire on Cove Road — about seven miles up Dead Indian Memorial Road — was reported at 10:15 p.m., according to a news release from Jackson County Fire District No. 5.

The fire department deployed three engines, three water tenders and a medic unit from Ashland Fire & Rescue to the fire outside city limits.

Fire crews found a smoldering fire in the crawl space beneath the house. They determined that the source of the fire was the wiring of a heating unit.

Once the fire was extinguished, crews cleared smoke from the house using a battery-operated fan.

The fire district encourages people to check their smoke alarms because the devices save lives and property. People who have questions about their smoke alarms can call Fire District 5 at 541-535-4222.