High school player dies in log drill
FARMINGVILLE, N.Y. — A high school football player lifting a large log with teammates as part of a Navy SEALs-style drill was hit in the head by the log and died Thursday, raising questions about adapting such military training to young athletes.
Joshua Mileto, a 16-year-old Sachem East High School junior, and about five of his teammates were carrying the log overhead when the accident happened at a preseason exercise camp supervised by a half-dozen coaches, Suffolk County police said.
The 5-foot-6, 134-pound wide receiver and defensive back was declared dead later at a hospital.
Sachem East graduate Carlin Schledorn, who played football as a junior, said carrying the log — about 12 feet (3.7 meters) long and the diameter of a utility pole — was a "team building" exercise.
"It's very big. It's like a tree, and it's a challenge for people who weightlift," he said. "Five or six people do it at once. I feel horrific for the team and coaches because I know them, and they are all great men."
School officials, including the head coach, did not comment on the exercise.
A person at Mileto's home declined to speak with reporters.
Classmate Olivia Cassereli said Mileto "cared about everyone else."
"He put others before himself, and everyone loved him and was friends with him," said Cassereli, who called him her best friend.
Some colleges and other high schools around the country have incorporated log-carrying drills and other military-inspired exercises into their football preparations in recent years, sometimes bringing in SEALs to teach and motivate. Some coaches and players say the tough tasks help forge teamwork.
But Douglas Casa, of the University of Connecticut's Korey Stringer Institute, which works to improve safety for athletes, questioned the wisdom of having teenagers perform an exercise that involves carrying a heavy object and that was developed for Navy SEALs, "potentially a very different clientele."
"There's so much potential for things to go wrong that I would really want people to think twice before doing something like that," said Casa, the institute's executive director.