fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Seahawks blow lead, fall to Browns in overtime

CLEVELAND — Derek Anderson, Jamal Lewis and the Cleveland Browns passed their toughest test to date.

Phil Dawson kicked a 25-yard field goal in overtime to give the Browns a 33-30 comeback win over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday along with their first three-game winning streak since 2001.

"It's about how bad do you want it," said tight end Kellen Winslow, Jr., who ignored shoulder and knee pain to catch 11 passes for 125 yards. "I'm just so proud of us because we fought as a team. We deserve this."

Lewis rushed for a career-high four touchdowns, the last one with 2:17 remaining in regulation, for the Browns (5-3), who trailed 21-6 in the first half and were down 27-22 in the fourth quarter.

Anderson, though, brought them back, and Cleveland's poor defense made a stop on a fourth-down play in OT to lift the Browns, whose first four victories came over teams with a combined 6-24 record.

Dawson, who hooked an extra point in the first half, atoned for his miss by kicking the game-winner 5:43 into OT to send a crowd of more than 70,000 into a frenzy.

Anderson was 29-of-48 for 364 yards, while Lewis scored on runs of 2, 1, 2 and 1 yards.

Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck went 30-of-47 for 318 yards and two TDs for the Seahawks, who also got a 94-yard punt return from Nate Burleson in the first half to open a 15-point lead.

Bobby Engram had a career-high 14 catches for 139 yards and a TD for the Seahawks.

"We didn't get the job done," Hasselbeck said.

After Lewis' fourth TD gave the Browns a 28-27 lead with 2:17 left in regulation, they had to go for 2 because Dawson had missed an extra point in the first half. Anderson jammed a pass to Joe Jurevicius to make it 30-27.

Hasselbeck then drove Seattle to Cleveland's 2 and Josh Brown booted a 22-yard field goal as time expired in regulation.

Seattle won the toss and got the ball first in OT. The Seahawks appeared to pick up a crucial first down when Hasselbeck ran for nine yards on 3rd-and-8. However, the play was reviewed and the officials determined the quarterback's left elbow had hit the ground short of the marker.

"It was called good on the field," Seattle coach Mike Homgren said. "They really have to see something pretty decisive to overturn it. I thought that was the rule. We're looking at the same replay in our booth as they are, I think. I just don't think you can overturn it unless they saw something we didn't."

On fourth down at Cleveland's 44, the Browns stuffed Maurice Morris up the middle. Again, the play was reviewed, and for the second straight time the call went in Cleveland's favor as the Seahawks came up inches short.

Cleveland took over and Anderson hit Lewis with a screen pass to the 21. Anderson ran for 10 yards and after another run inside, Dawson, the only Browns player left from the 1999 expansion team, came in and booted the Browns to victory.

Cleveland’s Derek Anderson fires a pass during Sunday’s game. - AP