fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Hall bars Seau's daughter from speaking

CANTON, Ohio— Junior Seau's daughter will not be commenting on her father entering the Pro Football Hall of Fame during the Aug. 8 inductions.

Citing previous policies on posthumous inductions, the Hall has barred Sydney Seau from making a speech. Seau, who committed suicide in 2012, is one of seven men being inducted this year.

In a statement from Joe Horrigan, the executive vice president and chief communications officer for the Hall, a 2010 policy was referenced on Friday.

"The policy of the Pro Football Hall of Fame since 2010 regarding individuals enshrined posthumously provides for an expanded presenting video (longer than the videos of living inductees) followed by the traditional unveiling of the bronzed bust and no additional comments made from the podium," Horrigan said.

The 2011 induction used such a format when former Los Angeles Rams star Les Richter was inducted posthumously.

In a New York Times story Friday, Sydney Seau said: "It's frustrating because the induction is for my father and for the other players, but then to not be able to speak, it's painful. I just want to give the speech he would have given."

Seau, who played 20 seasons as one of the NFL's best linebackers, shot and killed himself. Doctors later diagnosed Seau with traumatic brain injury they believed attributable to playing football, particuarly to hits to his head.

His family also has sued the NFL.

But Sydney Seau told the Times none of that was planned in her speech.

"It wasn't going to be about this mess," she said. "My speech was solely about him."

COWBOYS: Michael Irvin was not being selfish when he told fellow Hall of Fame wide receiver Tim Brown in 1994 to forget about playing for his hometown Cowboys.

Irvin was just being realistic.

“We were a run-¬oriented offense then and Troy (Aikman) was only completing 20 balls a game,” explained Irvin on Friday in a telephone call. “I got eight of those balls, Jay (Novacek) would get six, D.J. (Daryl Johnson) would get two out of the backfield, Emmitt (Smith) would get two. We were scrambling to get Alvin (Harper) and KW (Kevin Williams) some balls. … Where was Tim going to get any balls?

“It was just the reality. I love Tim. He and I came in (to the NFL) together, and we’ve always been tight. We’ve talked about going into the Hall of Fame together. But I was just being flat ¬out real with him. I told him, ‘Let’s take the emotions out of it about you wanting to come home and play for the Cowboys. Let’s take a realistic look at this. We only have 20 passes, baby. There aren’t that many balls to go around.’

“And it wasn’t like the formula wasn’t working. You can’t make great decisions without information.

“I took in the information around the decision and saw there was no need to tamper with anything. I was thinking, ‘Tim, what we’ve got working is pretty good over there.’ ”

Brown mentioned the other day that he had approached Irvin at the 1994 Pro Bowl about the possibility of signing with the Cowboys in free agency. Not only did Irvin discourage the thought, Brown mused, he staunchly rejected it and told him he was going to call Jerry Jones to prevent any such signing from happening.

“I remember him looking at me like, ‘You’re joking, right?’ ” Irvin said, “but I said, ‘Listen, dude, I’m serious.’ ”

The Cowboys would advance to the NFC title game in the 1994 season and win a third Super Bowl in the 1995 season. Brown wound up staying with the Raiders and finished his career fifth on the NFL’s all-time receiving list with 1,094 catches.

SAINTS: New Orleans has cut Junior Galette, who has been among their most productive pass rushers the past two seasons, but also has dealt with off-the field trouble.

Galette's agent, Alvin Keels Jr., said Friday that his client has been informed he'll be released after he undergoes a physical.

Galette, who signed a four-year, $41.5 million extension just last year, led the Saints with 10 sacks last season. His 12 sacks ranked second on the club in 2013.

The Saints did not return multiple messages seeking comment on the move, but the timing indicates that coach Sean Payton was concerned about whether the NFL's ongoing review of Galette's conduct outside of football could become disruptive for the club.

Galette was arrested in January after an alleged domestic dispute. Charges were dropped, but the incident remains under review by the NFL. The league also is reviewing a video which shows a man resembling Galette in an altercation on a beach.

DOLPHINS: Miami cut veteran quarterback Josh Freeman Friday, the strongest indication yet that they plan to carry just two quarterbacks on their active roster.

Freeman, a former Tampa Bay Buccaneer, signed with the team in April after spending the 2014 regular season out of football. He was uneven in minicamp and the organized team activities open to the media, and never really put any pressure on Dolphins backup Matt Moore.

In this Nov. 27, 2011, photo, former San Diego Charger Junior Seau stands with his daughter, Sydney, at his induction into the San Diego Chargers Hall of Fame during halftime of a game. AP PHOTO