Still no decision on Johnson’s future
MOBILE, Ala. — The agent for Calvin Johnson said Tuesday that the Detroit Lions receiver still has not decided whether to return for a 10th NFL season.
Johnson confided in several current and former teammates earlier this month that he was contemplating retirement because of the physical toll football has taken on his body.
Bus Cook, who’s represented Johnson since the Lions took him with the second overall pick in the 2007 draft, said he does not know a timetable for when Johnson will make his decision.
“Nothing to report,” Cook said before Senior Bowl practice Tuesday. “Have to wait and see. He has to think about what he’s going to do and then go from there.”
Johnson led the Lions with 1,214 yards receiving and nine touchdowns this year, but he’s been slowed by ankle, knee and finger injuries in recent seasons.
He played in every game this year for the first time since 2012, when he set the NFL single-season record for receiving yards, but was limited in practice the final two months of the season by an ankle injury.
Johnson confirmed in a statement earlier this month that retirement was an option.