Oosthuizen latest to pull out of Rio Olympics
Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa won't be taking part in golf's return to the Olympics this year, the third major champion to withdraw in the last week as the deadline nears to confirm participation.
Oosthuizen, who won the 2010 British Open at St. Andrews and is No. 12 in the world, said Thursday he was pulling out because of family and scheduling issues.
"I have always represented South Africa with pride, so didn't make my decision without a great deal of thought," Oosthuizen said.
Adam Scott, the 2013 Masters champion and No. 7 in the world, cited the busy schedule around the Olympics when the Australian said Tuesday he was withdrawing.
Vijay Singh, a three-time major winner from Fiji, said last week he was not going to play. The 53-year-old Singh has not won on the PGA Tour for nearly eight years. By not playing, Fiji will not have a representative in Rio because no other male professional has any ranking points.
Peter Dawson, president of the International Golf Federation said in a statement Thursday, "The IGF understands the challenges players face in terms of scheduling this summer and it is regrettable to see a few leading players withdraw from this year's Games.
"The Olympics is the world's greatest celebration of sport and it is exciting and appropriate that golf features in its program again. Real history will be made at this year's Olympic competitions and it is our belief that the unique experience of competing will live forever with athletes that take part."
Golf is returning to the Olympics for the first time since 1904, a 72-hole stroke-play event for 60 men and 60 women.