Since You Asked: Coach's trial pending
Editor's note: The charges against Victor Matoush were droppedOct. 29, 2008.
Re: Victor Matoush. Last update I saw was July. ... I hate the fact that you can trash someone's name with an accusation, and never publish an end result to the investigation, and indictment. That is just WRONG. You may edit this letter. And let me know the answer please.
— Suzanna, Ashland, via e-mail
We've not published an end result because there isn't one yet, though a trial date has been set. The former St. Mary's School coach accused of sexually assaulting a 38-year-old acquaintance will go to trial May 6 in Jackson County Circuit Court.
Victor Matoush, 40, has pleaded not guilty to the charges of first-degree rape, first-degree sexual assault and coercion. The charges stem from a sexual encounter June 17, after which the woman immediately called the police.
The attorney representing Matoush has said his client and the woman had been having a sexual relationship for six months. All of the sex between them was consensual, attorney David Terry said.
Jackson County Circuit Judge Patricia Crain reduced Matoush's bail Nov. 1 from $250,000 to $50,000, though he had posted bail last June. Matoush was also given permission to travel for work. Matoush is working in California outside of the education field.
Send questions to "Since You Asked," Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by e-mail to email@example.com. We're sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.