fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Call city to report overgrown weeds

I read the article on the upkeep of vacant homes in Medford. Does Central Point have a similar program? The house behind us has been vacant since last December. Weeds are growing up through the cracks in the driveway and along the creek. I would like to know who to contact about this.

— Charlette K., Central Point

Medford's new ordinance passed last month requiring property owners to register vacant houses and to maintain them has not been replicated in the city of Central Point.

Nevertheless, Central Point has been taking efforts to fight overgrown weeds in yards, which are sometimes a good indication that a house is empty.

The city has a weed-abatement program between May 15 and Oct. 15, according to community service officer Ron Barnett. The owners of properties where weeds are overgrown receive a letter stating they have two weeks to clean up the weeds or the city will do it for them, Barnett said. If the property owner fails to comply, the city can put a lien on the owner's property for the cost of the cleanup, he said.

To report overgrown weeds, call the city at 664-3321 ext. 251.

Send questions to "Since You Asked," Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by e-mail to youasked@mailtribune.com. We're sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.