fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

River flows lingo refers to mid-river

I need some help in tracking river flows for the Applegate River. I see on your weather page that you list Applegate flows for a place called 2SE. Where is that?

— David P., Medford

We at Since You Asked Central are often asked to translate that language spoken only at the U.S. Geological Survey and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration — the two halls of government where the river talk is hoppin' and they're always going with the flow.

The USGS is responsible for placing and monitoring all sorts of gauges and you can find on-time readings of these gauges at the Northwest River Forecast Center. It's at www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/.

As for the Applegate, there are three gauges on that stream. The lowermost one is at the town of Wilderville. The middle one is listed as 2SE.

That gauge actually is beneath the Highway 238 bridge that crosses the river right next to the Applegate Store at what is considered the town of Applegate.

The uppermost gauge is called the Copper gauge and it is on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers property downstream of the Applegate Dam. It is marked by a cable crossing the river, which also does double-duty as the angling deadline for those fishing for winter steelhead on the Applegate.

And don't tell anyone, David, but that's a heckuva place to fish for steelhead in March.

Send questions to "Since You Asked," Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by e-mail to youasked@mailtribune.com. We're sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.