Toddler assault case set for trial in December
I'm wondering if there have been any more updates in the Matthew Karl Hyrup (toddler assault) case. The most recent story I can find is from April. Thanks for your time.
— Rob H., by e-mail
The 28-year-old Medford man who stands accused of brutally beating his toddler stepson is scheduled for an 11-day trial in December, court records show.
Hyrup is facing five Measure 11 charges, including a single count each of attempted murder, first-degree assault, first-degree unlawful sexual penetration and two counts of first-degree sodomy.
Hyrup has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Hyrup is the stepfather of Cayden, a 19-month-old boy who was hospitalized after he was found unresponsive at a home on South Columbus Avenue on Feb. 23, 2012.
Police believe the toddler was severely beaten and sexually assaulted by Hyrup. The child had been in Hyrup's care while the child's mother left for a couple of hours, police said.
The mother called the child's doctor when she returned and discovered the injuries. She and Hyrup were married just weeks before the incident. Hyrup's mother called 911 after being called to the scene, police said.
The case originally was assigned to Jackson County Circuit Court Judge Tim Barnack. The case was reassigned to Judge Lorenzo Mejia at the request of Hyrup's public defender, Justin Rosas.
Hyrup was among a string of victims, according to court records, who were sexually abused by Daniel Paul Zeman in the 1990s and 2000s. Zeman, now 72, befriended youths at local motocross events, invited them to his east Medford home and chaperoned them on out-of-town trips.
Hyrup has been held in the Jackson County Jail on $1 million since February 24, 2012.
Send questions to "Since You Asked," Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by e-mail to email@example.com. We're sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.