Old library building used for meetings
What is the old Medford library building in Alba Park being used for now that there's the big library building on Central Avenue?
— No name given
The Medford Carnegie Library at 413 W. Main St. is now called the Carnegie Building and is under the management of the Medford Parks and Recreation Department, which rents it out for events and meetings.
The building can accommodate up to 250 people for events, which can be held on the first floor. The basement level is home to private offices, restrooms and an entrance and exit for people who need to use the elevator, according to parks department facility guidelines.
Alcohol, open flames such as candles, smoking and the use of nails and tacks are not allowed. Food can be served as outlined in a use agreement between the parks department and users. Assistance animals are allowed.
Finished in 1912, the historic Carnegie Building was constructed thanks to a gift from steel industry tycoon and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who helped communities across the nation build libraries.
After 2004, it was no longer used as a library after a levy approved by voters paid for the construction of a large new library in Medford as well as libraries in other towns in Jackson County.
The building housed assorted city offices through 2009 while Medford City Hall was undergoing renovations.
In a win-win deal, the city paid for upgrades to the Carnegie Building and avoided having to pay rent for office space elsewhere during the city hall renovations, according to a 2008 Mail Tribune article.
Send questions to “Since You Asked,” Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to email@example.com. We’re sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.