fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Move vehicle away from the highway after a crash

What should a driver do with their vehicle after a crash on the highway? I saw a few cars off to the side of the highway during the holiday weekend.

— Molly W., MedfordIt can be difficult to know or remember what the proper procedure is following an accident on the highway. Fortunately, the Oregon Department of Transportation details what you should, and should not do, if you're involved in a vehicular crash.

According to the ODOT website, Oregon's "Move It" law (ORS 811.717) requires you to remove your vehicle from the highway in a non-injury crash "if your vehicle is operable and it is safe to move it." After doing so you can exchange information with anyone else involved and other witnesses.

Essentially, the "Move It" law has three steps. First, check for injuries. You are not required to move your vehicle if there are injuries. You should call 911. Second, if there are no injuries and the vehicle is working, move the vehicle off of the highway to a parking area or shoulder. Lastly, report the crash. Exchange information with any other drivers involved. Fill out an "Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report" and file it with the DMV.— Send questions to “Since You Asked,” Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@mailtribune.com. To see a collection of columns, go to mailtribune.com/youasked. We’re sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.