fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100

Sept. 1, 1914

The coroner's jury had not fixed the blame at 2:30 this afternoon for the death of Charles Allen Berdan, who was electrocuted yesterday while moving a house under electric wires carrying 2,200 volts. It is believed that Berdan attempted to lift up the wires while standing on the roof of the house, receiving a shock that caused his death.

As there were no witnesses, the exact way Berdan struck the wires will not be known. It is believed by some that he lifted one wire with one hand and struck his foot against the other, forming a circuit completely through his body. Deep burns on the legs seem to justify this belief.

The house Berdan was moving was the property of H.S. Brumble. Brumble was having the building moved to his lots on Holly Street.

Attorney H.A. Canaday represented Berdan and Attorney Hough the California-Oregon Power Company. The jurymen were M. Bishop, M.A. Rader, W.L. Miller, A. Friedeger, Walter Merrick and J.A. Risley. A feature of the inquest was the rigid jury examination conducted by Prosecuting Attorney E.E. Kelly. Kelly explained that an accusation had been made that he had "packed" the jury, and he wished to save the jurymen embarrassment after they had rendered a verdict.

The city of Ashland has recently put up some very unique speed-warning signs at the city limits. As the tourist comes into the city he is met with a sign which reads as follows: "Welcome to Ashland," and underneath this is, "Slow down to fifteen miles an hour."

After they get by and look back at the sign, they are greeted with the words, "Come again." These are a great improvement over the old unseen notices.

Deer season opens today, September 1, according to the proclamation issued by Governor West. That part of the proclamation relating to this is as follows: "By virtue of the authority in me vested, I, Oswald West, governor of the state of Oregon, do hereby suspend the open season for deer and make and proclaim a closed season for said wild animals until September 1, 1914."