10 things to know for Monday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. OBAMA WILL HOLD CABINET MEETING ON FERGUSON
The president will gather with his closest advisers, civil rights leaders and law enforcement officials to discuss the events surrounding the shooting death of Michael Brown.
2. CLIMATE FUNDS USED TO FINANCE COAL FACTORIES
Japan is using $1 billion in loans to Indonesia to build three nonrenewable energy power plants under the provisions of a U.N. initiative to tackle global warming.
3. HIGH COURT WEIGHS INTERNET FREE SPEECH LIMITS
The Supreme Court will consider whether graphically violent Facebook posts and similar online ways of expression deserve First Amendment protections.
4. CIVILIANS STRUGGLE TO ENDURE KOBANI BATTLE
Residents of the Syrian town near the Turkish border are trapped in an existential fight against Islamic State militants that have inflicted enormous damage to them.
5. HOW AMAZON IS SPEEDING UP ITS SHIPPING OPERATIONS
The online mega-retailer is using 15,000 wheeled robots to deliver stacks of products to workers in warehouses who are preparing packages to ship during holidays.
6. WHAT U.S. RETAILERS ARE BANKING ON THIS WEEK
The research firm comScore expects people to spend about $2.5 billion on Cyber Monday, the biggest online shopping day of the year.
7. GHANI PREPARES TO OVERHAUL AFGHANISTAN'S SECURITY
Officials tell the AP that the country's president will fire senior civilian and military leaders in volatile regions to reinvigorate the battle against militants.
8. LAWMAKERS TRY TO CRAM 2 YEARS OF LEFTOVER WORK INTO 2 WEEKS
The congressional to-do list includes keeping the government running into the new year and renewing expired tax breaks for individuals and businesses.
9. WHO CALLS FOR 'CONSTRUCTIVE DIALOGUE' WITH MUSLIMS
Pope Francis and Orthodox Christian Patriarch Bartholomew I ask Muslims and Christians to work toward "justice, peace and respect for the dignity and rights of every person."
10. MISSING BUCKEYES PLAYER DIED FROM SELF-INFLICTED GUNSHOT
Ohio State football player Kosta Karageorge was found dead in a dumpster four days after he went missing.