fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Handicapped spaces are allowed in front of homes

I noticed on East Main Street near Highland that there is a handicapped parking spot in front of a residence, complete with a painted space and a sign. I can't remember seeing one in a residential area before and wondered if that is something that is available to any handicapped person? If so, how do you apply for it? — Joyce L., Medford 

You may not have seen a similar space in local neighborhoods, Joyce, because, in the words of Medford Public Works Director Cory Crebbin, there are "not a whole lot" in the city. While he said the public right-of-way is not the preferred option for handicapped spaces, that option does exist.

Crebbin said a handicap parking spot can be requested by submitting a "Citizen Traffic Request" form, which is available on the Public Works Web page. Go to www.ci.medford.or.us, click on City Departments, then on Public Works and you'll see the form in the upper right corner of the page.

He said the request would be analyzed for such things as whether it's an appropriate location and its proximity to other handicapped parking spaces. While the request might be made with a specific person in mind, if it is approved and installed anyone with handicapped plates or a placard would be allowed to park in it.

Send questions to “Since You Asked,” Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@mailtribune.com. We’re sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.